Melatonin is a very popular supplement for people who are facing sleep issues. It is widely popular for reproductive health. Some women often wonder whether it is safe during pregnancy. In this guide, we are going to discuss the potential effect of melatonin during pregnancy including its benefits and the right dosage.
Many studies have shown that melatonin supplements can relieve periodic insomnia. However, research has shown that there is no certain effect of these supplements during pregnancy. There is slight evidence, which shows melatonin can solve sleeping problems. Additionally, there is little research on the effect of melatonin supplements during pregnancy.
Is it safe during pregnancy?
Still, more research needs to be done to determine whether it is safe to take melatonin during pregnancy. Few studies have been done directly to assess the benefits of melatonin.
Some research has shown that it plays an essential role in fetal development and consumption of melatonin supplements improves pregnancy outcomes.
It is safe to say that no study concluded anything negative about melatonin. Just make sure you talk with your gynae Punjab to understand how much you need to take according to your health.
Benefits of Melatonin Supplements
One of the major benefits of melatonin is that it improves sleep during pregnancy. Some of the studies which have shown the positive effect of melatonin on pregnancy outcomes:
- One of the studies has found that melatonin injections can reduce the risk of neural tube abnormality.
- One of the reports has shown that using melatonin supplements for a short time can reduce pregnancy complications.
- Some research has shown that melatonin supplements can reduce the outcomes of treatment like IVF. Still, more research needs to be done.
- One of the studies has shown that melatonin can protect fetal brain development. However, the supplement is not recommended during pregnancy but research is very less.
Poor sleep during pregnancy can lead to different health issues. It can include the risk of long labor but it is not clear whether it is related to emotional distress or insomnia. Women who take melatonin during pregnancy improves sleep, reduces stress and reduces pregnancy outcomes.
How much do you need to take?
As per different guidelines adults need to take between 0.2 and 5.0 milligrams. This needs to be taken one hour before bedtime. However, for children, the dosage needs to be less. It is important that you start with less and then increase gradually.
*Note: Make sure you stop taking them once the sleep issue is solved or talk to your doctor for better understanding.
In case, you are pregnant then talk to your gynae whether or not you should take them. This is because the effect of melatonin is not known so, it is important to do as your doctor says.
What are the alternative options?
In some cases, the doctor might prescribe sleeping pills but certain medications can affect fetal development. If you are facing the issue of insomnia during pregnancy then you should improve the sleeping environment and practice good hygiene by:
- Buy a pregnancy pillow for better sleep.
- Waking up and sleeping at the same time.
- Avoid consuming coffee in the evening and afternoon.
- Sleep without television or computer screen.
- Follow an exercise regime.
You can try the following options to improve sleep like meditation, exercise, muscle relaxation, and cognitive behavioral therapy.
Contact our gynae as she is properly about the supplements and which one is best during pregnancy.